Friday, February 26, 2010

Nation before Family?

先有国再有家,还是 先有家再有国?

It is a difficult decision to choose between flying to Taiwan for my annual in-camp training and staying in Singapore (in case my son decide to come out early). There is definitely some risk involved as you will never know when the baby will decide to come out, when the water bag will burst and so on.

While I was prepared to take the risk with some back-up plans to come back soonest once something happened (which will take abt 24hrs) in Singapore, my sub-unit commanders were advising me against it. One of them said "Its of paramount importance that you be around when your wife is in labour. You do not expect her to grab the doctor's arm and crying in pain right?" Another added "It's just the army. They are not going to give you the NSman of the Year award because of all this sacrifices".

The thought of leaving my men to train up there in Taiwan without me is tormenting me.

I do not disagree with them. Both have their pros and cons.

By staying in Singapore, I will be thinking what is happening up there in Taiwan? Are they able to cope with the demands of the Bn HQ?

Alternatively, my heart will be in Singapore although I were to be in Taiwan physically.

I guess I will just need to contend with more grey hair until I convince myself which way to go.

No comments: