Monday, September 22, 2008

Landed in Daejeon

In the midst of my wedding preparation, i made an official trip to Daejeon, Republic of Korea to learn more about disability. The trip was fully covered by the Korean National Statistical Office (KNSO), thus I don't get any money from my Department.

For cost saving purpose, the KNSO people organised us in groups to ferry us from Incheon Airport to Daejeon. Before we left, the driver asked us for 10,000 won to buy food for us. He said that the burger is very nice. I suspect that is MacDonald's but paid anyway to see what he is up to. For your information, 10,000 won is approximately $13-$14 in our local currency.

After receiving the food, the representatives from Thailand and Laos were calculating how much the food is worth. It is definitely less than 6,000 korean won, meaning that the driver made a handsome profit of 40,000-50,000 won easily from the 10 of us. I suspect he even had some vouchers that gave us free drinks or something.

I initially wanted to get back our money but decided not to create trouble. I thought only the 3 of us knew about it. Oh boy, I was wrong.

(For infor, the dinner I took at a nearby university cost me 3,100, serving us Korean food)

Today, we went out for a welcome dinner. This is typically for overseas event to welcome people into their country to show their hospitality. As we were getting off the bus at the dinner venue, the Indonesian representative was saying that "see, got lunch promotion, price slashes from 15,000 won to 10,700 won, this should be better than MacDonald's."

Lesson: Don't try to trick tourist, they are not stupid. Not even when they are from the less developed countries. Its a disgrace to your country.

No comments: