Friday, November 20, 2009

Cool as a cucumber?

Its the usual year-end peak period for my section now. Its my third year with this section and my involvement with this routine year-end project differ from year to year.

This time round, I was thrust to the forefront of this project. We work like a production line and if I screw up my part, the rest of the team will not be able to proceed. After re-organising my team following some manpower movement, we were all ready to go, or at least I thought.

Now the "raw material" is stucked in transmission and will be delayed by a few days. While I remained cool, my staff was panicking and feeling stressed over it. While its good for them to be proactive and be responsible for their part, there is little I can do if the "raw material" does not arrive on time.

I guess over time, I have learnt to manage what is within my control and stay unflustered in situations like this. If the team leader loses his cool, it will have repercussions on his team members.

Lesson learnt: Stay calm in adversities while do your best to salvage the situation.

No comments: