Monday, November 30, 2009

Root of the Problem

I think I know where the problem lies.

At first, I thought the unhappiness was purely work-related, i.e. about meeting the demand and expectation of others which might have appeared unreasonable initially.

On further thought, what really disheartened me was the sight of my staff coming back on weekend/public holiday when her husband was still out stationed in Australia and left 2 children with her in-laws to take care. She was fully aware of the demand of things and saw the need to put in additional effort to see through the project.

While I appreciated her effort, what disappointed me was my failure to fight for her to be recognized and duly rewarded. In this aspect, I think I have failed (miserably). I took the stand of looking after the welfare of the division which on hindsight, I do not think that is correct. If given another chance, I will not probably not do the same again.

Am I in the position to rectify the situation? I don't think so. However, I have learnt from this incident and I shall not make the same mistake again.

In any case, I guess I should take it easy on myself. In the meantime, I will provide as much support to my staff as needed and look after their welfare and benefit, for as long as I am around.


No comments: