Tuesday, January 19, 2010

No Pride

The renovation project for my house has been far from a smooth experience but I guess you learn and grow with such incidents.

Other than price, sometimes you are hoping that with the reputation they are protecting, vendors will be more careful and experienced and hence warrant the higher fees charged.

The following was what the salesperson told me when I was shopping for my air-conditioners.

"The price is probably similar with different shops. The difference is the workmanship and skill. We do not sub-contract out to other vendors, we have our in-house technicians to do the installation for you. (Pointing to a picture with about 300 staff surrounding several vans) Look at this, this is something other companies cannot boost. We have the staff and reputation."

Being the sucker that I was, I trusted them and went along with them.

Little did I realise that they are unable to do the job they were told to. To think that I paid extra to get the installation to be done in 2 phases (at the request of my ID).

At the end of Phase 1, there will be loose gas pipes and water pipes around before the blowers were installed. I went to take a look on Saturday, in case anything goes wrong. To my horror, the insulation used were of different brands and different size as specified in the contract. I complained and the customer service followed up.

Today, they called me to say that its been rectified. Eager to see the outcome, I met with disappointments as majority of the errors have not been rectified. To be strict, none in fact.

If the insulation used all belong to a single size, I would say that you might have mixed up the orders and provided the wrong insulation. However, they came in a variety of sizes, just like pots in the house.

This mistake is so obvious and can probably be done by someone with no pride in his work (note that I am giving them the benefit of doubt that they are not trying to cheat me deliberately.).

This has been a disappointment and it is holding up my renovation as my ID wants to cover up the false ceiling and move on from here.

Sighzzzz....

No comments: